Strulch ® is a high quality, light and easy to use garden mulch made from wheat straw with added iron minerals for organic gardening. A patented process is used to ‘preserve’ the straw so it lasts for up to two years and gives an earthy brown colour. Strulch has a neutral pH and is recommended by the RHS and used at the RHS Gardens in Wisley. Strulch is suitable for use throughout the garden on: borders, raised beds, around cultivated fruit and on vegetable plots.
Why use Strulch?Mulching is widely recommended as good gardening practice. It reduces water loss from evaporation, enriches soil and reduces weed growth. Strulch mulch
- Reduces weed growth by up to 95%
- Helps retain moisture around plants
- Enriches soil and its structure
- Is suitable around flowers, shrubs, fruit and vegetables
- Lasts up to two years, spreading the cost, saving water and fertiliser, making your plants grow healthier and stronger and giving you more time to relax.
- Deters slugs and snails because of its physical properties and mineral content.
How to use Strulch?
Strulch is recommended for use only as a garden mulch. Use on borders, raised beds, around cultivated fruit and on vegetable plots.
Remove existing weeds and spread around established plants and shrubs to a depth of 3-4 cm on bare soil. The 9kg bags each cover up to 3 square metres. Water the mulch to fix it in place, leave space around woody stems. Leave on beds for more than one year or work into the soil at the end of the season to improve soil structure and drainage. Please note that Strulch darkens with age when spread or in the bags to produce an earthy brown colour.
Wear gloves when handling. The packed product may contain traces of iron which will be absorbed by the straw after spreading. Keep away from sources of ignition when dry.
Why does Strulch work so well?
- Slug and snail deterrent: The physical properties of Strulch, together with the embedded minerals discourage slugs and snails.
- Lasting weed control: Strulch inhibits weed germination and growth by blocking out light. The mineralisation process inhibits the rate at which the straw breaks down and depending on the application rate and local conditions, can act as an efficient barrier to light for up to two years.
- Adds organic matter: Strulch is biodegradable and will break down over time, adding valuable organic matter and nutrients to the soil. N – 0.6%, P2O5 – 0.2%, K2O – 1.6% percentage dry matter, plus calcium, magnesium and iron (0.75%) and organic acid preservative. Strulch encourages earthworm activity by acting as a long term food source for surface feeding species.
- Environmentally friendly: Strulch is made from renewable and local resources which do not harm the environment and Strulch is verified for use in organic growing systems.